Sunday, 9 June 2013

Beauty in the small and ugly

There are some things a 2 year old can show you.  Glorious things.  Things from God.  Life things.  I feel like I've been given an incredible gift.  I've been dealt a load of grace.  Grace to see beauty.  Grace to see things differently than I always have. 

We have a field of dandelions.  I don't think they're so bad when they're blooming, bright and yellow and cheery against the lush green grass.  That I could maybe see as beautiful.  But the puff balls?  Those great, ugly, dead dandelions rearing their ugly heads of puff.  I've always thought those were ugly.  And then the thought of how many seeds are in each of those puffs and how many new ones we will have the next year.  Ugh.  I've never liked them.  Until yesterday.  

Adalyn holds out her hand to me.  "Hand, Mommy?"  She grabs my hand and walks me across the yard.  We walk up the little hill.  I stay at the top while she runs down the other side into the field of dead dandelion puffs. I wasn't paying attention then.  My mind was probably thinking how tired I was or of some other petty little problem.  Then she's back holding out a dandelion puff.  She says "Blow Mommy!"  So I blow gently, trying not to disturb the seeds so they won't plant their little selves all over the place.  She blows too.  Then she's running back.  So excited.  She grabs another one, running up the hill.  "Blow Mommy!"  So we blow.  A bit harder.  And she giggles.  She's so excited.  She has my full attention now.  She keeps running up and down bringing me puffs and we blow and giggle.  I see a glimpse of the joy of my Maker.  Delighting in the things He has made, and it's beautiful.  It's not ugly.  It is so beautiful.    Thank you for this grace Father.  I don't ever want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment